This program is not currently accepting applications.
Designed to provide an advanced level of education to early and mid-career professionals working in the region’s geospatial technology industry, UMBC’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) program focuses on the information systems and computer aspects of GIS. The two year program provides students with the knowledge, tools and techniques of database management, application development, and analytical assessment to appropriately address GIS requirements and answer spatial questions. Upon completing this program, students will be able to demonstrate technical aspects of GIS.
Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies: Geographic Information Systems
Part-Time or Full-Time: Full-time and part-time
Online or On Campus: On Campus
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is for early to mid-career professionals interested in an understanding of GIS that goes beyond “GIS as a tool for analysis”. Prospective students must have working knowledge of GIS and a B.A. or B.S. in Geography, Computer Science or Information Systems, or a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- A bachelor’s degree and 3.0 GPA (Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted to the Certificate program)
- Statement outlining the student’s goals and expectations in the program
- Current resume
- Two Letters of Recommendation (MPS only; Optional for Certificate)
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- GRE is not required
- English proficiency testing (TOEFL/ IELTS) is required for international students.
Term of Admission: This program is not currently accepting applications.
Main Contact Info: 301-738-6285 (Shady Grove)
Graduate Program Director:
Matthew Baker, email@example.com
Ron Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Program Coordinator:
Karina Jenkins, 301-738-6285, email@example.com