Skip to Main Content

Required Documents

Apply Now! Button

Applying to the Graduate School at UMBC requires information regarding your academic history, professional background, and personal information. Below we have included a listing of possible documents required to complete the application. By having these documents ready at the time of starting your application, you may greatly reduce the time it takes to complete the application. Certificate and non-degree applications required documents can be found on their admission requirement page.

Degree Applications

The degree-seeking application may require several reference materials, in addition to files that you may choose to upload with your application. Please confirm with your specific program’s admission requirements before producing all mentioned documents, as they may not be required for admission by your desired program.

  • Goal Statement: Please discuss your academic objectives pertaining to your desired program plan to study, including contemplated research projects and professional career goals. Include any of your research or background as it fits with your desired program, along with any administrative, research, or teaching experiences. We will only accept .doc and .pdf files to our application. Statements of purpose can be any length, as long as they sufficiently cover the above criteria.
  • Reference Contact Information: References are professors or professionals that can complete a Letter of Recommendation form. This form is sent to your desired references via email only after you have submitted your application. Please notify your references that you are including their names and email addresses on your application.
  • Education History: You will be asked for information regarding all previously attended universities or higher-education institutions, including years attended and degrees conferred.
  • Transcripts: You will have the opportunity to upload a single .pdf file as an unofficial transcript. Unofficial transcripts can be used for early admission considerations, however you are still required to submit official and final transcripts to complete your application.
    • Transcripts from your bachelor’s degree granting institution MUST be part of your application package.
    • Unofficial transcripts can be submitted by the applicant for early consideration. We will only accept .pdf copies of an unofficial transcript.
    • Official transcripts must be sent from your previous institution’s Registrar’s Office and cannot be opened, unsealed, or altered in any way.
    • UMBC alumni do not need to send official copies of their UMBC transcripts.
  • GRE Scores: Certain programs require a submission of GRE scores for consideration. Confirm your program requirements and please visit the GRE website for more information.
  • Resumé or CV: A professional resumé or academic curriculum vitae may be uploaded with the online application. You will only be asked to provide one if the admitting program requires one.
  • Writing Sample: Select programs prefer to evaluate their candidates’ ability to write. Please confirm with your program to verify if a writing sample is required.
  • Supplemental or Department Requirements: Some programs require additional information regarding your background or research interests. Supplemental application requirements can be found on your specific program’s page.

Back to Top


If you wish to be considered for in-state Maryland residency, then you will be asked for information regarding the following:

  • Financial Dependency: If you are financially dependent on another person, you will be asked for their contact and residency information including address and visa status, if applicable.
  • Current / Previous Address: You will be asked for where and for how long you have resided at your current and previous address.
  • Driver’s License: You will be asked for information regarding your MD Driver’s license. It may be helpful to have your license at the time of applying.
  • Vehicle Registration Card: You will be asked for vehicle registration information, so it may be helpful to have your registration card at the time of applying.
  • Voter Registration Card: You will be asked for information regarding your voter registration. It may be helpful to have your voter registration card at the time of applying.
  • Tax Filing Information: Basic information regarding your previous years’ filed taxes may be asked. You do not need your filed tax records, but you will be asked for which years you filed.

Back to Top

International Applicants

  • TOEFL / IELTS Scores: To find out if you are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, review the requirements on our international admissions page.

Back to Top

US Military Affiliation

  • Branch and years served
  • Station Orders: For purposes of in-state residency determination, we may ask for a copy of your station orders. The Graduate School will only accept these documents after you have submitted your application.

Back to Top

USM Employees

  • Verification Letter of Employment: An employment verification letter must be produced by your USM school’s Human Resources department. You may send a copy of the letter to our mailing address or email an electronic version.

Back to Top

Certificate & Non-Degree Applications

Back to Top