The Graduate Commencement ceremony is a happy time for our graduates, and for also their friends and family. We encourage all degree-earning graduates to participate in this monumental milestone, as we host our own in-house ceremony at the main campus in the UMBC Event Center.
Doctoral and Master of Fine Arts candidates will receive their diplomas at the ceremony. Ph.D. and M.F.A. candidates not participating in the ceremony may pick up their diplomas in the Graduate School beginning on the day after the commencement ceremony. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Diplomas for master’s degree candidates will be mailed to the address listed on your Diploma Application approximately eight weeks after commencement. Expect diplomas to be delivered mid-February for Winter, mid-July for Spring, and mid-October for Summer graduation.
Visit the Commencement website for all the details about the graduate ceremony.
The degree conferral date that appears on your transcript will be the same date as the commencement ceremony dates for Spring and Fall. The conferral date for Summer is August 17.
- Doors to the Event Center open at 8:30 AM
- Procession begins at 9:50 AM
- No tickets are required for the Graduate School Commencement ceremony.
- Graduates’ personal belongings must be left with friends or family members as there is no secured location for items to be stored at the Event Center.
- Be prompt! Keep in mind that traffic in the Baltimore area may be congested. Please allow time to locate parking and to walk to the Event Center.
Graduates: please take a moment to watch this short video on how to properly accept your diploma at the ceremony. (video courtesy of Elon University)