Undergrads Taking Grad Courses

There are opportunities to further advance your undergraduate career with graduate-level courses at UMBC. These opportunities increase the value of your undergraduate education, and can even provide a jump-start to your graduate career. Whether you seek undergraduate or graduate credit for your graduate coursework, all undergraduate students seeking enrollment in graduate courses must complete the Approval for Undergraduates to Take Graduate Credit form.

For Undergraduate Credit

Subject to requirements determined by the program offering the course, undergraduate students may register in the undergraduate college for graduate-level courses (i.e., those numbered in the 600’s to 700’s, with the exception of 798 and 799) for undergraduate credit. A student seeking this option normally will be in the final undergraduate year; have earned an accumulated grade point average of at least 3.0; have successfully completed, with a grade of ‘B’ or better, the prerequisite and correlative courses; and be a major in the appropriate or a closely related department offering the course.

Enrollment in a graduate-level course does not in any way imply subsequent departmental or Graduate School approval for credit for a graduate degree at UMBC, except in relation to approved accelerated programs.

For Graduate Credit

University System of Maryland undergraduate students who have a grade point average of at least 3.0 in the discipline in which the graduate course is to be taken and who are within seven credits of graduation may register in the undergraduate college for certain 600-level and higher courses, which may later be counted for credit toward a graduate degree at UMBC if the student is in an approved accelerated program. Except in approved accelerated programs, the credits must be in addition to those required for the student’s undergraduate degree. Credits in the senior year exceeding those required for graduation cannot be used for graduate credit without prior written approval of the appropriate faculty and the Graduate School.

Back to Top