All New Students
Orientation programs are offered online asynchronously for graduate students entering UMBC. Admitted students can access orientation through Blackboard.
- Sign into your UMBC Blackboard account. (This will have the same credentials as your myUMBC account so make sure you have that set up first.)
- Select “Organizations” on the left-hand side of the Blackboard dashboard.
- Select “Organization Catalog” in the upper right-hand corner of the Organization page to search organizations in our Blackboard system.
- Type “Graduate School Orientation” into the search bar and click “Go.”
- Select the downward arrow next to the Organization ID and click “Enroll.” When prompted, use the access code GRADORIENTATION.
- From the self-enrollment page, click “Submit” to enroll in the organization.
- Navigate back to the Blackboard Organization page, and click “Graduate School Orientation.”
- Click the “Content” tab on the left-hand side of the screen, then click “Graduate School Orientation” once again. You’re in!
Shady Grove students will receive information on orientation in Rockville. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding UMBC-Shady Grove orientations.
International Students: The International Student and Scholar Service also sponsors a separate orientation specifically for new international students.
Departmental Orientations: Please contact your department directly to learn if they are hosting a program-specific orientation.
Graduate School Welcome Event
Join us on Friday, August 25th from 2-5pm for our Welcome Event in the Retriever Activity Center (RAC). We will have a Community Information Fair, Free Snacks, and Guest Speakers, including UMBC’s president, Valerie Sheares Ashby, and Dean of the Graduate School, Janet Rutledge. Reserve your free ticket today!
Welcome to the Graduate Student Association (GSA) at UMBC. The mission of GSA is to support, promote and represent all graduate students at UMBC. All Graduate Students at UMBC are members of the GSA.
The GSA is funded by one of your mandatory fees, and we take that responsibility seriously. We urge you to take advantage of the resources we offer.
The GSA provides:
- Opportunities for Leadership and Professional Development
- Grants (for Research and/or Professional Development)
- Graduate community events
- Campus Resources and Support, such as a graduate peer writing tutor
- Opportunities for discussions and recommendations on the Graduate Student Experience, both academic and social
To receive notifications of these opportunities and events when they are scheduled, you must opt-in to our mailing list by following us on myUMBC.
For more information on the GSA please visit our website.
We look forward to meeting you in person and virtually throughout the school year.
Grace De Oro, GSA President (email@example.com)
Jessica Burstrem, GSA Vice President (firstname.lastname@example.org)